Saturday, August 28, 2010

Forgiveness

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." -Mahatma Gandhi

Not much needs to be added to this, however, I will make one point. If forgiveness is for the strong, then it obviously isn't easy. But, since we are renewed in our strength through Christ, we have the ability to forgive. Christ will strengthen us and help us forgive. For me, forgiveness is instantaneous. If someone wrongs me, I forgive and forget. I've always been that way. (Not that I'm perfect, I struggle in many other areas, but forgiveness isn't one of them.) God has forgiven our sins, and we are required to forgive others. It's not an option, and it's not our responsibility to make sure that these "horrible" people are held accountable for their wrong doings. It's a sin to continue on babbling and gossipping about it to other people, coloring the "horrible" person in a shady light to others. God doesn't hold our wrongs against us, and we need to follow suit.
Now, I will say, that part of me wishes that I would be able to hold onto grudges and remember all the wrong doings of others. It would be nicer in a fight to be able to pull all the crap up and shove it in their face, but my mind doesn't work that way. There have been soooo many arguments in our marriage that I wish I could remember when he said or did x,y,or z to help make my point... but I never can remember. So, I pretty much always lose our fights. But, it's okay. I'm not one for arguing anyway. I'll let the rest of the world spend their days holding grudges, fighting, causing division, shaming the name of Christ and His sacrifice on the cross. I'll just sit back, thankfully oblivious about why any of it started and love and raise my family and husband with Christ's help .

No comments: