Friday, March 19, 2010

Birthdays

Remember when you were a little kid and all you could think about for months beforehand was your birthday? Remember seeing all the presents, invitations, favors, decorations, and getting giddy for the fun that was going to happen? Remember getting a new outfit to wear at your birthday party and making sure that your hair was perfectly cute? Remember the anticipation of friends coming over and gifts to open? I'm still like that! I love my birthday! I get all excited for it, and just can't wait for it to happen. Although, I'm not sure why I get so excited. It happens, every year, without fail, and nothing out of the ordinary happens. But, for some reason, I just still get so excited that I feel the butterflies in my stomach days before my birthday... maybe even weeks!

Here are my two favorite birthdays....

March 22, 2003- I woke up this morning later than usual. I had just come back home for spring break from college, and I wanted to be lazy and stay in bed and do nothing. Sadly, after lying in bed for an extra hour or so, I was bored out of my mind. So, I got up and went to get ready. When I opened my door, there were rose petals leading from my door to the bathroom and to the kitchen. I went into the bathroom and got ready; there were beautiful roses on my sink. I followed the rose petals out to the kitchen and found my favorite breakfast on the table with my parents and Nathaniel sitting there waiting for me. We all ate breakfast and had fun spending time together, then Nathaniel wisked me away for a fun day. He took me to the Franklin Park Conservatory to see the butterflies. It was gorgeous! It was there, in the tower overlooking one of the butterfly gardens, where he proposed. I had NO idea... not even an inkling that he was going to propose. Of course, I said yes! After the gardens, we went to Buca di Bepo for dinner to celebrate our engagement. Nathaniel had invited both sets of parents to come and celebrate with us. It was a wonderful day!

March 22, 2007- 5:30am.... induction for Pea due to BP issues. I spend this ENTIRE birthday trying to have our first child. After all sorts of pain, poking, proding, crying, frustration, etc., I finally got the doctor to stop all medication long enough for me to eat my birthday dinner of choice. Nathaniel went out and got Buffalo Wild Wings and a DQ cake. It was wonderful, while it lasted... Several hours later I was back on the meds trying to get Pea to come out! (It didn't happen until March 23, at 4:30pm) Although this day wasn't Pea's birthday, it is still my next favorite birthday because it was such an important day in our lives.

I'm sure that there will be many more wonderful birthdays in the future. I get giddy even thinking about them! I still can't believe that I'll be a quarter of a century old tomorrow.... where has the time gone???

No comments: