Saturday, July 30, 2011

Black Bean Brownies

YUM!
These brownies are AMAZING! They are very rich, but incredibly good. Perfect with some homemade vanilla ice cream, maybe a caramel drizzle. I brought them to a family gathering, and they were devoured by my picky niece and nephews... and they didn't have a clue they were good for them! (in the grand scheme of things. :) ).
The picture isn't the greatest, but I was trying to take it while the kiddos were chomping at the bit to dig in. But, even though the pic isn't the greatest, I promise you won't be disappointed by these. I honestly prefer these to the real thing. They are THAT good! (Plus they are GF, and can easily be dairy free if you switch out the chips.)


Black Bean Brownies
1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed very well
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons coconut oil or butter
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup sucanat (or other sweetener)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (use less to make them less rich)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt (can omit)
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided

Directions:
Add ingredients (except chocolate chips) into food processor in order listed, making sure that the beans are finely pureed and all ingredients are well blended. I had to scrape the sides several times to make sure that everything was encompassed. Once everything is mixed, blend in 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips. I allowed the chips to become chopped up somewhat- almost like mini chocolate chips.
Pour batter into GREASED 9x9 pan. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 chips on top. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle.

Enjoy- I'm sure that this recipe will surprise you. It is delish!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Gluten free eh? I'll be passing this link along if that's alright. :) They look delish!

Lindsey said...

I neeed these. Like, right now. Thanks for sharing!

Stultz Family said...

I made them again with mini chocolate chips and they were 1,000 times better. not sure why? but try it with minis. :)